Monday, September 7, 2009

Mom 2 Mom

I recently started attending a Wednesday morning bible study for moms and absolutely love it! My friend Ashley is on staff at Highview East and her husband Clint is Josh's sales manager. We had talked about her Mom 2 Mom group over the summer and I told her I would like to check it out, just let me know when it starts up for the fall. Well, she is so thoughtful and not to mention organized and she remember to call me. The first session was last Wednesday and I really enjoyed it. The speaker was amazing! She had grown children so she knew all the joys and challenges of being a mom and then some. I don't know what it was, but just the way she spoke made things seem so simple.
Having an English degree has given me more than enough opportunities to disect a text and look for different ways to read a text and develope my interpretation of what the author is trying to convey. Even though it takes reading through something multiple times, I really like to do that. Well the light bulb went off for me when Virginia, the speaker, said to treat the Bible that way. She said to make lists and try to dig deeper into the passage you read. Sometimes you feel like you can't fully understand what your reading if you don't know all the theology behind it or if you haven't read the entire Bible. This method simplifies the process so you can learn the most important elements. One list is supposed to be what the passage tells you about God. And the other list is what God wants you to do. Reading scripture is to seek God's face and know Him better and to learn what He wants you to do and how to lead your life. I feel like making these lists really helps me to understand how I can apply God's word to my life since I have physically written down what He wants me to do. This method of reading has went really well for me this week so I just wanted to share that! Good Night!

1 comment:

  1. Jordan,
    I am so very proud of you, stay in HIS WORD!!! HE will give you Wisdom and Strength when times are tough. I love you.
    Robin Z

    ReplyDelete